How Clutter Can Affect Your MoodJune 4, 2020
Sometimes keeping your home in order can be a challenge, especially if you have to juggle work, kids and chores on a day-to-day basis. But have you noticed how a sink full of dirty dishes, a hamper overflowing with soiled clothes, or a dusty shelf can make you feel bad and alter your mood? If yes, you’re not alone.
In fact, there are even studies showing how clutter can affect people’s moods. Garage organization expert Innovative Spaces, Inc. shares more information on this below.
Can Clutter Really Affect Your Mood?
Researchers at UCLA’s Center on Everyday Lives and Families (CELF) explored the relationship between 32 families in California and the objects in their homes. Through their study, they were able to offer a look at how middle-class Americans utilize space in their homes and interact with their material possessions. Furthermore, they found that clutter has a significant effect on people’s mood and self-esteem.
Among women, high cortisol (stress hormone) levels have been observed when there is a high density of household objects. This means that a messy space tends to stress out women. Men, on the other hand, aren’t bothered by the disorder.
Tips for a More Organized Home
Thankfully, there are many things that you can do to free your home of clutter. They can range from simple changes like mini decluttering sessions each day to more thorough solutions like closet renovations and organization. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Use the rule of five — meaning, put away five things every time you walk through a room or spend five minutes every hour decluttering a space.
- Make it a habit to clear and clean your kitchen sink every day.
- Pay attention to your fridge door. Toss out extra magnets, restaurant menus, and other unnecessary things. Of course, don’t forget to clean up the inside of your fridge as well.
Innovative Spaces, Inc. specializes in designing and installing quality storage solutions for homes and businesses. Whether you need help in closet organization or garage remodeling, you can count on us to provide excellent services. Call us at (574) 217-0469 or fill out our contact form to request a free quote.
- Why Bare Concrete Garage Floors Are a Bad Idea
- What Kind of Pantry Should You Build for Your Kitchen?
- Why Do Some Floor Coatings Fail Prematurely?
- Custom Closets: Are They Worth It?
- Tips for a Non-Slip Garage Floor
- Mistakes to Avoid When Planning a Custom Closet
- Do’s and Don’ts of Organizing Your Garage
- Why You Should Add a Murphy Bed to Your Guest Room
- 4 Benefits of A Smart Custom Closet
- The Basics of Custom Pantry Planning